Position- Executive Director
Family & Children’s Service is seeking a mission-driven and experienced leader skilled in successfully executing strategic plans and empowering high performing staff. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be based in Lynn, MA and have overall management responsibility for growing an impactful organization with a $2.5 million annual budget, and 42+ employees.
Family & Children’s Service (F&CS) can trace its lineage back to 1885, when Lynn Associated Charities was first organized. The history of F&CS shows its evolution from a number of small nursery and family service programs to an organization that strengthens the life skills of families, children and individuals of all ages. Today, F&CS is a vibrant, social service agency with strong ties to the greater Lynn area, as well as, our newly established Chelsea location serving Charlestown, Chelsea, East Boston, Revere, and Winthrop areas (Harbor Area).
Our mission is to strengthen the life skills of families, children and individuals of all ages. This is accomplished through a range of programs offered directly or in collaboration with other organizations in our community.
The Role of Executive Director (working with appropriate staff and BoD):
We are excited to welcome to our organization an enthusiastic, committed, and engaging mission-focused leader with a unique balance of financial and operational acumen to drive the success of impactful programming and the funding to support and sustain it. The ED will manage and lead the following strategic areas of the organization:
Leadership: Provide thoughtful executive leadership that is inclusive, transparent, and empowering in a manner that supports and guides the Agency’s mission. Fully engage the Board in the organization’s operations.
Community Awareness: Effectively represent the Agency, networking to promote a positive organizational image to the municipal and community leadership of the Greater Lynn Community and the Harbor Area. Ensure organizational visibility into state, federal and local programmatic trends, opportunities and service area needs.
Program Planning/Advocacy: Play a key role in the development of programming in keeping with the Agency's core competencies and mission. This includes leading a
continuous review, evaluation and modification of programs to meet community needs.
Be current on the activities of other area social services organizations.
Fund Development: Cultivate and strengthen relationships with existing donors, while expanding the donor base to include new annual giving and major gift prospects and
identification of new grant opportunities.
Organizational and People Management: Manage and motivate staff, overseeing processes such as hiring, separation, ongoing staff development, performance
management, and compensation and benefits.
Fiscal Control/Financial Management: Actively engage in fiscal management through hands-on budgetary development and oversight; routinely report financial and
operational performance metrics to the Board.
Compliance and Best Practices: Maintain and proactively engage Agency compliance with Federal, State and local laws, regulations, and requirements. Beyond legal
compliance, ensure the Agency is meeting the highest standards possible for
programming and community betterment.
Board Support and Development: Act as an advisor to the Board of Directors, serving as ex-officio member of all committees. Keep the Board informed of Agency operations
and the service area social services environment and community needs.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a relevant discipline such as non-profit management or educational administration. Advanced degree in social work, education, or another relevant field is highly desirable.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of rising organizational executive leadership experience, with a track record of effectively leading outcomes - based programs, and fundraising experience that includes securing funding from diverse sources strongly preferred.Outstanding communication skills and ability to work well with media, staff, and thecommunity
- Demonstrated cultural competence with an ability to work with diverse populations,within the community and with agency staff members
- A proven track record of growing organizational capacity and programmatic impact
- Proven abilities and experience in fiscal management and in engaging the Board in preparing a complex annual budget
- Capable of designing and directing strategies that enhance and support organizational operations
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with a Board of Directors
Generous Benefit Package:
Health, Dental, Flex spending & Health Reimbursement Accounts, Retirement Plan, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance, Sick, Vacation, Personal Days
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Family & Children’s Service
111 North Common Street
Lynn, MA 01902
Attn: Human Resources
Family and Children’s Service is an affirmative Action/Equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, national origin,
creed, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other legally protected class.